Sunday, November 12, 2006

I Love Parades!

Ah, DH and I went to the local Veterans Day Parade. I just love a parade. Seems like in this town they always happen when it's wet out. We just got a little drizzle. I came armed with camera and took over 600 photos! LOL I told you I go crazy... I have a hare shutter finger! (is that the right kind of hare or is it hair?) A couple of years ago I had ordered some flags to decorate the flower beds from mid June to Mid July and when they arrived they were much larger than I had anticipated, so I never used them. As we were getting ready to go I asked DH to grab them because I wanted to put them in lawns of some veterans we know. I thought we could do it after the parade. That plan went by the wayside, as I was taking photos DH gave them to some of the little ones around. I was fine with that, they were so cute standing there on the curb waving their flags.

One little gal, about 6, was dressed in full camo and had her boots on! She was just adorable. One float came by and a little girl yelled from the float "Happy Veterans Day Grandma!" How sweet is that! After the parade, I spotted the the Lao-Hmong group near by and I went to get additional photos because they were so wonderfully colorful!

The President of the group game me his card and asked if I would send him copies because his camera was at the other end of the route.. NO problem. Then DH and became engaged in conversation with this couple from the Veterans of foreign wars.


They were very sweet. He was a WWII vet. They invited us to an additional celebration and dinner at the Moose Club. We graciously (I hope) declined. Then I spotted this Vietnam Vet walking my direction down the block. He was wearing his full outfit backpack and all.. albeit the backpack looked a bit light. He looked very surreal walking up there alone in the dampness.

I had to take that. He stopped to talk with someone and I caught up with him, got some closer photos. Turns out the guy he was talking to was from the local radio station, so I got some photos of the interview. Then we happened along a Coastguard reserve gentleman and his dog. I couldn't resist and then when his wife came out of a nearby shop in her uniform, well, th e shutter kept on clicking. Turns out he was in the Navy during WWII. He met his wife in the 8th grade when they both lived in Folsom. He joined the Navy right out of high school and said he was so surprised when he reported to San Diego to find 5 other of his classmates there. He said it was just like going back to high school. Well he and his sweetie never got together... for several decades... ten years ago when they got married they joined the coast guard reserve....

seem kind old but what do I know? We met many interesting and friendly people... and they all want copies of the photos... did I mention my cd player/burner is kaput? wonder how I will pull this off.. anyway, I leave you with a few photos

I posted about 20% of the photos here http://tinyurl.com/ybuudr incase you would like to see more!

No comments: