Friday, June 16, 2006

Where have I been?


This is a photo I took off my balcony!

For Mother's Day my daughter, bless her soul, (I understand it is OK to gossip if you follow the name of the person you are talking about with "bless his/her soul" lol) wanted to send me to a "lifestyles management" program at the hospital where she works. The program is called "Transitions" and it is at the St. Helena Hospital. This just happens to be the hospital where I was born, only back then during "Ike" it was the St. Helena Sanitarium.... But that's another story. Anyway... I knew it was quite expensive and I was feeling like my family was sending me off to the fat farm (not that I didn't need it) So needless to say, I wasn't very excited about it; but, I agreed to go because it seemed to mean so much to her.

On Mother's Day I started a 13 day journey into my new life!

I had a beautiful room like you would have at a nice hotel, a private lounge area for participants, maid service, a gorgeous view off my balcony, three meals a day, two snacks, a chef who could make the most disgusting sounding dishes beautiful and tasty, a doctor, a therapist, a dietitian, a personal trainer, and a yoga instructor.

Our days began at 7 am and ended at 7:30 pm. We had cognitive behavior classes, nutrition classes, cooking classes and physical heath classes... we exercised 3 times a day. We were issued pedometers to track our steps 10,000 to be min., exercise balls and bands so we can Circuit train without the machines, Heart Beat Monitors so we can track out aerobic activity, palm pilots and software for tracking our food and exercise compared to our goal.

On our first full day they took full blood and urine panels, gave us a stress test ,put us on the scale, assessed our BMI,tested our flexibility and strength and took our measurements. From there the DR and dietitian planned our recommended caloric intake and burn, then the team formed individual plans for us.

The Dr. noticed my thyroid was borderline low and with everything else I had going on she decided to prescribe a small dose of thyroid meds. She also gave me an additional med to boost one I was already taking for depression and some over the counter items for IBS and reflux disease. Now, if I can only control my compulsions!

I was amazed that on the second day after starting my new medicine regime, I was feeling wonderful! Then the next day after that, I had the first normal bowel movement in over 6 years! (too much information? LOL)

My exit numbers were incredible! LDL down 21% , hsCRP down 37%, fasting glucose down 11%. I lost 3.5 inches from my waist, 2 inches off each thigh and an overall inch loss of 8.5 inches. I also lost 5 lbs. My flexibility increased 11% and my hand strength increased 15% All this taking in 2x as many calories daily as I was before I went there.

Needless to say I am ecstatic! I wish I could have stayed longer! I continue to eat healthy and exercise regularly. I wear my pedometer religiously When I went to the Dr last Thursday, for a sinus infection, I had lost a total of 12 lbs. and my blood pressure was 113/80. I think when I started the program it was 140/90. I do know when I left it was 120/88!

I can't believe how much energy I have!

I feel fantastic!

2 comments:

janna said...

Welcome to the blog world!!!
Congrats on the loss of 12 lbs!
(HUGS)
Janna

Julz said...

Oh Janna how wonderful for you to welcome me! I'm glad to see you here!